Prepare for Pilgrimage!
Prepare for Pilgrimage- read, pray and pack!
A letter from our Spiritual Director to help prepare your heart and soul before service and pilgrimage.
Dear Lourdes Pilgrim,
A physical pilgrimage is a spiritual journey to a place made holy by a heavenly encounter. You are about to discover the Grotto as such a place and Lourdes pilgrimage as a truly blessed experience!
Pope Francis tells us: “…making a pilgrimage is one of the most eloquent expressions of faith.”
There are many practical preparations you will be making for your upcoming international travel.
However, your spiritual preparation is also important! To best assist you for what will be a special time in your spiritual life, I offer the following suggestions for your consideration:
Spiritual Preparation and Prayer
- Pray for an open heart to welcome the “liquid graces of mercy” waiting you.
- Meditate on the Holy Scriptures by reading the Gospels or praying the Rosary
- Offer to take prayer intentions to the Grotto for family, friends and fellow parishioners
- Discover or deepen your knowledge of St. Bernadette, Message of Lourdes, and the Apparitions.
- Watch the classic “Song of Bernadette” or newer “Bernadette” and “The Passion of Bernadette”
- Recommended reading and movies before pilgrimage!
- Easy Reading: Lourdes: Font of Faith, Hope, and Charity by Elizabeth Ficocelli
- Spiritual Reading: A Holy Life by Patricia McEachern (the translated writings of Bernadette)
- Accurate Historical Account of Lourdes: Bernadette Speaks by Père René Laurentin
- Plenary Indulgence – a special opportunity for a grace from the Church for those who make pilgrimage to Lourdes. Do not travel all this way without knowing that this opportunity is available for you!
- The Sacrament of Reconciliation is available to you throughout pilgrimage. Review this Guide-to-Confession before pilgrimage to fully receive Our Lord’s mercy.
- Learn more about our beloved Saint and Intercessor in Heaven by reading In the Footsteps of Bernadette.
My friend-in-Christ, I invite you to take full advantage of this spiritual opportunity to deepen your relationship with God through the graciousness of His Mother and humble Bernadette in the Grotto. You will experience first-hand the “spirit of Lourdes” and surely, you will be forever changed. Please be assured of my prayers for you now and on pilgrimage.
With every blessing for a fruitful pilgrimage,
Fr. Robert Hyde
Reverend Robert Hyde, Spiritual Director
Fr. Francis Menei
Reverend Francis Menei, Spiritual Director Emeritus