For the Press
Our Lady of Lourdes Hospitality North American Volunteers
2020 Fact Sheet
Our Lady of Lourdes Hospitality North American Volunteers is:
- The first Lourdes Hospitality of the Americas to bring the sick with volunteers to Lourdes annually.
- Dedicated to sharing the Gospel Message of Lourdes and bringing hope, healing and peace to those in need.
- The only Lourdes volunteer group granted a plenary indulgence by Pope Francis to all the faithful making pilgrimage to Lourdes or experiencing Lourdes in a Virtual Pilgrimage with Our Lady of Lourdes Hospitality North American Volunteers. The plenary indulgence is effective from July 16, 2020 to July 15, 2027.
Our Lady of Lourdes Hospitality North American Volunteers during the current world-wide pandemic:
- All pilgrimage travel to Lourdes, France and travel for Lourdes Virtual Pilgrimage Experiences has been postponed for the health and safety of our membership.
- As long as travel is restricted Lourdes Virtual Pilgrimage Experiences will broadcast each month online. An extraordinary plenary indulgence was granted by Pope Francis to share the Lourdes Virtual Pilgrimage Experience via internet broadcast, live-stream, recorded television or radio program for the duration of the world-wide pandemic.
- An online Family Rosary is hosted each month to pray for an end to the pandemic and for the sick and suffering of the world.
- We continue to share Lourdes Water to those in need with extra safety protocols.
Our Lady of Lourdes Hospitality North American Volunteers during normal times offers:
- Special Needs Pilgrimages in June and October.
- Volunteer Service Pilgrimages for youth and adults each April-October.
- “Virtual” Pilgrimage Experiences at schools, churches and parishes.
- In 2019, a total of 335 pilgrims and volunteers made the journey to Lourdes with OLOLHNAV, including 60 special needs pilgrims and 35 medical volunteers completing our 52nd Special Needs Pilgrimage.
- Also in 2019, over 32,000 “pilgrims” experienced Lourdes in 162 Virtual Pilgrimage Experiences in 21 states and 6 countries on 5 continents.
Our Lady of Lourdes Hospitality North American Volunteers is careful steward of donations.
- The staff and management of Our Lady of Lourdes exercise great fiscal responsibility. 91 cents of every dollar is spent of programs and services.
- Through the generous donations to Andrea’s Wish Fund, 30 special needs pilgrims were able to travel to the Grotto at Lourdes in 2019.
Our Lady of Lourdes Hospitality North American Volunteers, established in 2002, is a 501(c)(3) Public Association of the Christian Faithful of the Syracuse Diocese. The group receives no federal, state or Church funding and exist solely on private contributions and the generosity of individual donors. Your gift is tax-deductible to the full extent provided by law. For more information, please visit https://lourdesvolunteers.org. You can also connect with them on Facebook and Twitter.