For the Press
Our Lady of Lourdes Hospitality North American Volunteers is:
- The first Lourdes Hospitality of the Americas to bring the sick with volunteers to Lourdes annually.
- Founded in 2002 in the Syracuse Diocese and celebrating 20 years of service this July 16, 2022.
- A Public Association of the Christian Faithful, inviting individuals to become members to share in the graces and good works of our community.
- Dedicated to sharing the Gospel Message of Lourdes and bringing hope, healing and peace.
- Granted a plenary indulgence by Pope Francis to all the faithful making pilgrimage to Lourdes or experiencing Lourdes in a Virtual Pilgrimage with Our Lady of Lourdes Hospitality North American Volunteers. The plenary indulgence is effective from July 16, 2020 to July 15, 2027.
An extraordinary plenary indulgence was additionally granted by Pope Francis to share the Lourdes Virtual Pilgrimage ExperienceTM via internet broadcast, live-stream, recorded television or radio program for the duration of the world-wide pandemic.
What programs do we offer?
- Pilgrimages to Lourdes for both volunteers and those with special medical needs in the fall of 2022.
- Lourdes Virtual Pilgrimage ExperienceTM is once again being offered in-person at parishes, schools and other locations where requested. Online and television broadcast experiences will continue to be offered, especially for the homebound and in areas where travel may still be restricted.
- We value the power of prayer and offer a variety of ongoing opportunities to support our members spiritually: Monthly Family Rosary via Zoom, the Bernadette Brigade prayer group, Grotto Gatherings, support group for medical volunteers and an electronic weekly newsletter.
- During the past two years while travel has been restricted, we have self-produced two television series offering relevant Lourdes related content. Both Lourdes Lessons: The Pandemic Series and My Lourdes Faith Journey, have been aired on EWTN.
- We continue to share Lourdes Water to those in need with safety protocols.
Through the years:
- Since 2002, we have accompanied a total of 6,700 pilgrims and volunteers to Lourdes.
- Since 2004, over 300,000 “pilgrims” in over 40 countries have experienced Lourdes in a Virtual Pilgrimage ExperienceTM.
- Since 2007 Andrea’s Wish raised over $1,300,000 which has sponsored 575 special needs pilgrims.
Our Lady of Lourdes Hospitality North American Volunteers is a careful steward of donations.
- The staff and management exercise great fiscal responsibility as a 501(c)(3) charity.
- $0.91 cents of every dollar is spent on programs and services.
- We receive no federal, state or Church funding and exist solely on private contributions and the generosity of individual donors.
For more information, please visit www.lourdesvolunteers.org or connect with us on Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
Media Fact Sheet 2022 (PDF)